Liturgical Marble Walls & Floors
Location: Detroit, MI
Owner: Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Detroit
Scope of Work: Liturgical Marble Restoration
- Paonazzetto Rose
- Nero Marquina
- Belgium Black
- Yellow Siena Dark
- Paonazzetto White
- Breccia Pernice
- Jura Gray
- Verdi Alpi
- Botticino Fiorito
- Breccia Oniciata
Blessed Sacrament Cathedral is the Mother Church for the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Detroit. Original construction of the Cathedral began in 1913 with the exterior completed in 1915. In 1930, the original interior was completed. Plans for renovating the Cathedral were begun in 1987, with final completion and dedication of the newly restored interior in March of 2003.
This was one of the most challenging and exciting projects the company has been involved in. The existing marble floor was comprised of thirteen different colors that formed a complex and varied geometric pattern throughout. Portions of the original floor were damaged requiring replacement. After identifying the marbles, locating the correct color matches and quantities required presented a considerable challenge. The replacement stone was cut and hand fit in Italy to match the original pattern. Some smaller pieces were pre-assembled into larger medallions before shipment to the jobsite. Upon completion of the heavy construction, the entire marble floor was cleaned and repolished to a mirror finish.
In addition to the restoration of the marble floor, several pieces of new marble furniture were added, including the Altar, Tabernacle, Baptismal Font, Ambo, and Ambry. The solid marble Altar top weighed approximately six tons with four support legs at approximately 1500 pounds each.
Pictures show various views of the completed interior stonework, freeing a block of White Italian marble used for the project from the quarry and a hilltop view from the quarry site in Carrara, Italy.
Project Duration: 2001 -2003